Sunday, March 13, 2011

Chocolate Cake Dreams


I always wanted a chocolate cake
But my mother refused to make it
She always baked vanilla cakes
Because Daddy didn't like chocolate

We lived in Woodbridge at the time
at the corner of Islington and Seven
Across the highway was the IGA
And my box of chocolate heaven

It was a lovely sunny day
A perfect day for a walk
So I took my baby in the pram
And I walked around the block

I stood at the busy highway
I carefully looked both ways
I waited until there was a break
Then crossed to the IGA

I knew exactly where to find it
My Duncan Hines Chocolate cake
Through the doors, turn this way
To the aisle with all the cakes



I reached out with my little arms
Until my fingers grasped the box
I carefully put it in my baby pram
And then I turned and walked

Out the door, across the highway
Past Scott's Funeral Home
Around the corner, down the sidewalk
Until finally I was home

 "Mommy - can you bake me a cake?"
"Where on earth did you get that?"
 "I got it at the IGA - a cake for you to make!"
"NO....we cannot keep it...we have to take it back!" 

The tears welled up inside my eyes
We took back the chocolate cake
My mother apologized to the grocery man
And told me "you're not supposed to take!"

Ohhhh...I had to pay?
I truly did not know
I was just a little girl
Barely four years old


Sherry Irvine - March 12, 2011


Cake Image:  Etsy:  Dollhouse Scale  2 Tier Chocolate Wedding or Occasion Cake, listing #26750188

1 comment: